Windows XP Support Has Ended- Is Your Computer Still Secure?
Windows XP support ended April 8th and Microsoft will no longer be issuing any security updates for this operating system. This means if a new flaw in the operating system is discovered, it will go unpatched. This creates the possibility that hackers could target the new flaw and infect a Windows XP machine. You’ll still be able to install old security updates, but no new patches will be released. As disconcerting as this may sound, the reality is other software on your computer may have flaws in it- Windows XP is only part of your security- and cyber hacks typically attack well-known software, such as Adobe Reader and Java, no matter which version of Windows you’re running. This means it’s still possible to guard your computer against dangers. You should still apply all of the existing patches for Windows XP in order to make the base operating system as secure as possible; however, here are a few tips on keeping your computer even more secure:
- Install Ant-Virus to stop flaws in Windows XP from being exploited.
- Update your software as out of date bits can create security holes hackers will find. A lot of software will automatically update itself, but not all will.
- Update drivers as they have been known to contain security flaws.
- Windows XP only supports Internet Explorer 9, which means that it is at least two versions out of date and at risk. Instead of using Internet Explorer, use either Chrome or Firefox as both have been continuously updated for Windows XP, so you download the latest version.
- Disable Java for web browsing. You can still run standalone Java-based apps, but your browser won’t run this content online.
As long as security software, drivers, and other application have Windows XP updates for them, the operating system can continue to be used securely and reliably and should thus still have a long life.
Call 919-355-5545 to speak with a Petronella Technology Group specialist today or find more information on our website. We can help make your system as secure as possible and give you the peace of mind you need!